Dumb post to the Stargardts Facebook group

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 10 04:33:34 EDT 2013

Actually, you bring up an interesting point.  I don't have the problem with
typing the dollar and number signs like you described, but I've seen a
problem with some devices not reverse translating Braille as they should.  A
particular instance of this comes to mind.  Back in school, I had a test
with true or false questions.  I answered either "t" or "f" as one would
expect.  For some reason, when it was printed out, it got turned into "that"
and "from."  The teacher didn't know why, but of course I recognized the
problem.  That's why there is either grade I or computer Braille which is
what I should've used, but I didn't know it would do that.  Similarly, a
blind person was asking me a question and the sentence ended with "en?"
which was supposed to be "enough."  I'm not sure why the notetakers have
difficulty in back translation, but it seems to be common.  NFBTrans didn't
seem to have that problem.

Also like you, I'm not a regular Braille reader nowadays and I usually don't
have the screen reader read out punctuation.  However, what I think you
aren't realizing is that since you know Braille, you don't need to know
where the punctuation is.  In other words, I know that a period goes at the
end of a sentence which is a statement and a question mark goes at the end
of a question.  I don't hear passages of text as one continuous stream of
words with a short pause separating them sometimes, if that makes sense.  If
I never knew Braille, I wouldn't know that.  I can tell by how you write
that you at least learned some Braille and know enough to form a proper
sentence.  I've seen several blind people who use no punctuation at all and
sound uneducated in their writing style.  I'm not saying that everything
needs to be 100% perfect, especially nowadays with email and text messages,
but it's downright confusing when there is no separation between sentences
and thoughts.

As a final note, I'm terrible at reading aloud and avoid it when possible.
While I do know Braille, I'm not the fastest or best Braille reader by any
means.  I'm afraid I've got out of practice because I rely so much more on
speech and DAISY books nowadays.