clipboard integration -- possible security implications

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Oct 22 03:57:43 EDT 2009

Hi,

Ah, of course. OK, we need something like mktemp. Can Speakup set
environment variables? What about restricting it so that it can only
write the clipboard under /tmp? What I'm thinking is that somehow a
random filename needs to be generated and somehow the name has to be
communicated to the user. By writing under /tmp, it avoids the
/boot/vmlinuz problem that you outline but people could still create
symlinks, so make it a random file that changes based on the ID of the
logged in user. Put the name of that file in
/sys/accessibility/speakup/clip. That creates an extra step for the user
because they would have to open two files, first to find what the random
file is and second to open the actual clipboard text, but that should be
very secure. Obviously, the owner of both files would have to be the
current user.

If you can write to the environment, you could set a variable with the
random filename which could be read by any shell script, again such as
speakupconf or just "set" by itself. It could also be used in a script
if someone wanted to copy it to a predictable name, in which case
security would be their problem.