ALSA Default Sound Card

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Dec 30 04:01:08 EST 2007

Yes, it does.  Thanks a bunch.  I first ran into some of the below
suggestions while googling this subject earlier this evening.  I got
that to work.  In my Slackware setup, I didn't have a cards_limit deal
in there but I might as well go out and add it for further reference
or clarity.  I also tried blacklisting the unwanted card and that
trick also worked; sure quicker than removing that card's definition
in the kernel compile config.  Now I have access to both cards.  I
might also consider using speech on the onboard card and let the SB
Live card do the rest of the stuff.  Of course this way, I now have
all things go through the Live card and I can use headphones to access
everything at once.  But this way with both cards functioning at the
same time, I have even more flexibility.

It's funny but your example represents the exact same two cards in my
box as well.  The HDA card sounds good for playback but the recording
was extremely weak and there's no base/trevel controls either.  My SB
Live card has all that and the recording levels are much better.

Thanks again for the help and follow-up to what I began to find out
this evening.  Just shows you how powerful and flexibil Linux is once
you figure things out.