running speakup and software synth

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 10 10:05:37 EDT 2007

Well, getting back to your original question, can you give the debian
installer disk parms to boot into software speech? No.  You'll need a
hardware synth to install from the debian installation CD.

It is possible to install debian linux via software speech. What you need to
do is:
1. Boot a live distro with speech like grml or knoppix or oralux (or maybe
ubuntu)
2.  Manually partition your disk. You'd probably use fdisk for this although
different live distros might have different partitioners.
3.  Transfer the base system to your hard drive via  debootstrap
4. chroot to the new system
5. Install a kernel
6. Reboot

Obviously,  each step above is  quite a bit more detailed than that. But you
can find documentation on manually installing debian  via google, If you
google for terms like debootstrap, chroot, ffdisk, you will probably find
them.

If you don't have a hardware synth, another thing you can do is install via
a serial console. You'll need a special cable for that but it costs only a
few bucks.