error message, keyboard not working as a result

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 17:54:09 EST 2005

Well, I don't know why you are getting the messages you are getting, but
have you tried setting up an initrd (initial RAM disk?)  I found that
having Speakup load from an initrd allowed me to shut it up immediately as
it comes up later in the boot process.  From what I've read about kernel
2.6, the major difference from 2.4 is that 2.4 and earlier assumed anybody
who has a computer has a keyboard.  2.6 makes no such assumption, and
thus, could in theory, work with an embedded system which can only be
accessed remotely.  I think what's happening is that keyboard support
comes up later in 2.6, and thus, you can't stop speech until it detects
the keyboard.  As I said, with Speakup built entirely as modules, and
it immediately.  It's a compromise between compiling it directly in the
kernel, and having to wait until you are fully booted up to start speech.