trying to install RedHat

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Dec 2 12:30:30 EST 2002

You're not reading the HOWTO. Because, if you were, you wouldn't be making this mistake, and you'd be further along in your installation.

1.)	You cannot expect to have Linux speak Windows terminology. The HOWTO explains that, and your message below is still confused on this point. In
other words, there is no such thing as "C:" on Linux, and I can't help you properly until you name "C:" for me in Linux-speak, not Windows-speak.

2.)	There's no need to put each iso image in a separate directory. In fact, I think you've compounded the mistake. I bet you haven't really put the
image in those directories, but rather the file tree which the image holds. This is wrong, and the HOWTO discusses this.

3.)	If you're not formatting whatever partition "C:" actually is, you most certainly can install from the iso image files. You don't need to
extract anything, the Linux installer will happily take care of all of that. Just put them in the appropriate /dev/ device, and tell the installer you
want a hard-drive installation. You'll need to specify the appropriate mount point, of course.

PS: If "mount point" and "/dev" still sounds like mumbo jumbo, read the HOWTO. You're not going to succeed until you get a rudimentary grasp of these
terms. The HOWTO will help. Zipspeak will not.