Linux and High speed accessability

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed Nov 14 09:59:14 EST 2001

Hi, Amanda:

If it were me, I'd go with wiring provided the property was mine and not a
rental. That would be the deciding factor for me. Wiring is only a hassle.
Once done, it's a blessing. I'd simply plan on spending the money to have
a competent professional do it.

PS: I'm not sure I'd think of the design from the attic down--too hot up
there. You may want to do the actual wiring that way, but the design
should, imho, center on the basement because it's cool there and you can
get at the things you need to get to more easily. Then, bring the cable or
DSL into the basement and into a router/wireless device. Eventually, you
might even put a server down there.

Just my 2 cents American.

PS: Once upon a time telephones were rare. It was radical, back in the
1950s, to have more than one phone per house. The same goes for electrical
plugs. Guess what, high speed wiring to each room, and probably to
multiple jacks in each room will be common in a few decades. If you join
the move now, you get to be a pioneer today and an expert in a few years.

 On Wed, 14
Nov 2001, Amanda Lee wrote:

> Yup, if they've gotten through the firewall, then you have more problems
> to worry about than security between the computers within your home or
> whereever the lan is.
>
> Haven't seen a house wiring system that provides  good throughput yet.  I
> did a bunch of searching and this other technology for wireless seems to
> be best solution for me.  I just hoped some other devices were availabel
> for less.  I don't want to go too far off topic but I have the info in a
> folder somewhere and will at least relate the name of this device.  Pretty
> certain Best Buy offers it.
>
> There is another attempt to connect via the parallel poert but that got
> some bad rap on a message board I was reading and it's obviously as slow
> as mollases.
>  To answer going the water pipes route,
> could be an option here but the atic isn't very accessible and don't
> really think the water pipes go up
> that far.  In many cases, the walls are sealed off between floors so, as I
> said, it's easier said than done.  o'well...
>
> Amanda
>
>  On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Kirk
> Wood wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Terry Klarich wrote:
> > > At this time, I wouldn't consider wireless.  There is big problems with
> > > security.  I did hear of a product which used the home wiring though.  Can't
> > > remember how or where though.  Maybe a search on google is in order.
> >
> > OK, can't resist this one. You are connecting a computer to a network with
> > zero security. You are recieving email that has been god only knows where
> > and could easily be seen by anyone and their brother. Now you are a bit
> > concerned because there is a theretical weakness in security?????
> >
> > Hello?? Before deciding this kind of thing you should become
> > informed. Guess what?? There are security risks in your OS? But to shed
> > some knowledge here: the problem with wireless security is that when you
> > use 128 bit encryption you are "only" getting the equivilant of 40 to 56
> > bit encryption. The reason is that the security key must be entered as
> > ascii characters and as such, not all bits are available for use.
> >
> > But hello?? If you have someone hacking into your communications with 40
> > bit encryption then they also probably have tapped into your network and
> > can see all that nice unencrypted data anyway. It took 10,000 computers
> > working around the clock over 24 hours to crack 40 bit encryption. There
> > are much easier ways to snoop on me.
> >
> > =======
> > Kirk Wood
> > Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net
> >
> > "When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
> > a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
> > 	- President George Bush

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp