[slint] Re: Fwd: New kernel, automatic handling of kernel upgradess.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Sep 8 04:54:33 EDT 2020

Hi Tony,

CCing this answer to the speakup mailing list.

@speakup list: the report is after upgrading a kernel from 4.19.67 to 5.4.62.
Did anyone observed a similar behavior?

The issue with the line in rc.local ineffective at boot time is indeed weird.

This file is executed at the very end of the booting sequence, so I pretty
much doubt that sysfs be not yet available.

To check I did this (an you can do it too):
I inserted the following line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
echo "the command run by rc.local should be executed now." > /dev/kmsg
then made executable rc.local typing "chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.local"

Then after a reboot I typed as root:
dmesg|grep rc.local
The output was:
[   17.128784] the command run by rc.local should be executed now.

So your command would have been executed 17 seconds after booting.

Incidentally, instead of including the echo command in rc.local you could, once
your speakup settings are done to your liking, just type as root:
speakup-save

Then these settings should be restored after next boot.

They are stored independently for each hard synthesizer and the soft one.

Does this work for you?

Cheers,
Didier