[slint] Re: Fwd: New kernel, automatic handling of kernel upgradess.

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Sep 9 01:50:15 EDT 2020

For what it's worth, I'm running a self compiled 5.4.63 kernel on a
devuan 2.1 system. I added the line:

echo 0 > /sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo

to my /etc/rc.local above the last "exit 0" line, and rebooted. After
reboot, I wasn't able to hear characters I typed from speakup, which
was expected.

Greg

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 10:54:33AM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> CCing this answer to the speakup mailing list.
>
> @speakup list: the report is after upgrading a kernel from 4.19.67 to 5.4.62.
> Did anyone observed a similar behavior?
>
> The issue with the line in rc.local ineffective at boot time is indeed weird.
>
> This file is executed at the very end of the booting sequence, so I pretty
> much doubt that sysfs be not yet available.
>
> To check I did this (an you can do it too):
> I inserted the following line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
> echo "the command run by rc.local should be executed now." > /dev/kmsg
> then made executable rc.local typing "chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.local"
>
> Then after a reboot I typed as root:
> dmesg|grep rc.local
> The output was:
> [   17.128784] the command run by rc.local should be executed now.
>
> So your command would have been executed 17 seconds after booting.
>
> Incidentally, instead of including the echo command in rc.local you could, once
> your speakup settings are done to your liking, just type as root:
> speakup-save
>
> Then these settings should be restored after next boot.
>
> They are stored independently for each hard synthesizer and the soft one.
>
> Does this work for you?
>
> Cheers,
> Didier
>
> Le 08/09/2020 à 02:08, tony seth a écrit :
> > Heya there and good evening!
> > Well, ya told me to install the kernel and see what breaks, and I did.
> > The kernel upgrade went fine, and all seems fine, except for a tiny but important thing.
> > I have an /etc/rc.d/rc.local file which turns off echoing of characters typed in the console when I use Speakup.
> > The line in the file is this:
> > echo 0 > /sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo
> >
> > Up until the upgrade this worked just fine, but afterward, it doesn't. Characters are echoed again, unless I run as root:
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> > This fixes the problem until next reboot.
> > Just curious how I could fix this, or is it that the sysfs isn't being created early enough for the rc.local file to work on the key_echo entry?
> > Thanks much as always though, other then that I've not had any problems, and the braille display works fine as well.
> > I bring that up because you mentioned Phillip having the braille display problem.
> > I'm using an Inceptor Braille Me in usb mode.
> > Thanks again...
> > Take care... Cheereo!

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1