Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sun Mar 31 13:33:32 EDT 2019

Hello,

On 31/03/2019 19:05, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I am now subscribed to debian-accessibility.  I thought I
> was before but was actually subscribed to ubuntu-accessibility
> which is a very close family member to debian as I once had orca
> running on another linux box.
>
> 	I got the clone from git and did
>
> sudo make install
>
> and instantly got
>
> cc -MMD -Wall   -c -o espeakup.o espeakup.c
> In file included from espeakup.c:29:0:
> espeakup.h:27:30: fatal error: espeak/speak_lib.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <espeak/speak_lib.h>
>                               ^
> compilation terminated.
> <builtin>: recipe for target 'espeakup.o' failed
> make: *** [espeakup.o] Error 1
>
> 	I suspect a lot of this contrariness with the system
> kicking and screaming at every step has to do with the fact that
> I brought speech up on the ISO image while installing it and
>  #include <espeak/speak_lib.h> refers to a header file that
> should be here but isn't, not in any directory so it isn't a case
> of debian doing something odd with it.  speak_lib.h doesn't exist
> in any directory on the system.

In the source archive on espeak-ng, it is here:
./src/include/espeak/speak_lib.h

So if it's an issue with Debian packaging.

I just checked with this query
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=speak_lib.h

The file is shipped in libespeak-dev and libespeak-ng-lib.

Don't ask me why, ask the packagers.

> 	Anyway, the missing library is a show-stopper for now.
> espeak does talk but the new espeakup is still science fiction on this
> system.

Simple solution: install Slint.
espeakup works there out of the box.
http://slint.fr/wiki/start?id=en/start