Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Martin McCormick martin.m at suddenlink.net
Sun Mar 31 13:05:29 EDT 2019

	I am now subscribed to debian-accessibility.  I thought I
was before but was actually subscribed to ubuntu-accessibility
which is a very close family member to debian as I once had orca
running on another linux box.

	I got the clone from git and did

sudo make install

and instantly got

cc -MMD -Wall   -c -o espeakup.o espeakup.c
In file included from espeakup.c:29:0:
espeakup.h:27:30: fatal error: espeak/speak_lib.h: No such file or directory
 #include <espeak/speak_lib.h>
                              ^
compilation terminated.
<builtin>: recipe for target 'espeakup.o' failed
make: *** [espeakup.o] Error 1

	I suspect a lot of this contrariness with the system
kicking and screaming at every step has to do with the fact that
I brought speech up on the ISO image while installing it and
 #include <espeak/speak_lib.h> refers to a header file that
should be here but isn't, not in any directory so it isn't a case
of debian doing something odd with it.  speak_lib.h doesn't exist
in any directory on the system.

	The other debian box which I purposely have not yet tried
anything major with also never seems to have had this file on
it's  one and only drive.  It was also installed from the same
ISO CD image.

	Finally, I think it is absolutely amazing that this stuff
works as well as it does almost all the time.  I have been
writing programs  in several different languages such as
assembler, basic, c and perl for 30 years and watching a complex
package build is almost like experiencing art.  There are so many
ways for things to go wrong but they normally make it through all
the hoops intact which is one of the reasons why I hadn't
subscribed to debian-accessibility sooner.  Stuff mostly just
works.

	Anyway, the missing library is a show-stopper for now.
espeak does talk but the new espeakup is still science fiction on this
system.

Martin