Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Mar 31 13:44:09 EDT 2019

Didier Spaier, le dim. 31 mars 2019 19:33:32 +0200, a ecrit:
> On 31/03/2019 19:05, Martin McCormick wrote:
> > 	I suspect a lot of this contrariness with the system
> > kicking and screaming at every step has to do with the fact that
> > I brought speech up on the ISO image while installing it and
> >  #include <espeak/speak_lib.h> refers to a header file that
> > should be here but isn't, not in any directory so it isn't a case
> > of debian doing something odd with it.  speak_lib.h doesn't exist
> > in any directory on the system.
>
> In the source archive on espeak-ng, it is here:
> ./src/include/espeak/speak_lib.h
>
> So if it's an issue with Debian packaging.

It isn't, the header is where it should be.

> I just checked with this query
> https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=speak_lib.h
>
> The file is shipped in libespeak-dev and libespeak-ng-dev.

As expected, yes. On Debian systems -dev packages provide the headers to
be able to use a library.

> > 	Anyway, the missing library is a show-stopper for now.
> > espeak does talk but the new espeakup is still science fiction on this
> > system.
>
> Simple solution: install Slint.
> espeakup works there out of the box.
> http://slint.fr/wiki/start?id=en/start

It does on Debian as well, when there is no bug that is mostly due to
users not testing enough before I release packages.

And again, to fix the issue you are having, follow what I said:

add /bin/ to

ExecStart=sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V ${VOICE}'

so it looks like

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'modprobe speakup_soft && /usr/bin/espeakup -V "${VOICE}"'

Then you will be able to upgrade the package to version 1:0.80-5+deb9u3
normally.

Samuel