speakup and garbled text

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sat Mar 16 23:21:40 EDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 09:37:26AM -0700, Chris Brannon wrote:
> John Covici <covici at ccs.covici.com> writes:
>
> > I  wonder if its a flow controlissue, if its software synth, maybe its
> > an espeakup problem?

I'll say this, just so it's out there. When either listening to the
screen or reading the screen with the read screen review command with
the bns, I frequently observe the bns skipping parts of text. I recall
this happening since the early 2000s on single core or multicore
systems. It's either how speakup handshakes with the bns, or the lack
of indexing in the bns driver, or both. I don't believe this has
anything to do with garbled SMP output, but am stating this for the
record, since the question of if this happens with serial synths was
asked. It would be good to get input from people with serial synths other
than the bns driver.

> I doubt it, because as I say, I have never seen it in review mode.  I'm
> also pretty sure I've seen this with speechd-up too.  So I'm trying to
> solicit input from folks who use something other than espeakup.

I'm using speechd-up on a raspberry pi 3b. It has four cores, and
seems to have a 26x82 console. I generally don't notice the garbled
SMP bug discussed here on that setup. Very rarely, the speech will
drop a character here or there, but it's so infrequent that I hardly
notice it. I've noticed the character drop when using space bar in a
pager, but I don't recall seeing it when reading the full screen with
the review command. Just now, I logged in on my rpi, and noticed a
character dropped as it was reading the banner screen where /etc/motd
is displayed after login. I then brought up the dmesg output in
less. I went through three screen fulls just by pressing the space bar
twice, and no part of the speech was missing. Hope this is useful in
some way.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net