speakup and garbled text

Tom Fowle wa6ivgtf at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 16 23:01:42 EDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 03:35:12AM -0700, Chris Brannon wrote:
> deedra Waters <deedra at the-brannons.com> writes:
>
> > Essentially this bug is easy to reproduce. just read a large chunk of
> > text. from everything i've seen that alone will do it as to how often
> > it does it i've not really counted because it for me at least happens
> > quite often to the point where i find speakup irritating to use
>
> I have an observation and a question.  The observation: I have only
> noticed this behavior when Speakup auto-speaks text, never in review
> mode.
>
> The question: has anyone who uses a hardware synth noticed the garbled
> text problem?  Everyone I know who has complained of it uses a software
> synth.  But given my observation above, I don't believe it's a problem
> with the softsynth driver or the synthesizer.
>
> -- Chris
I have not run into this bug using the older kernel and speakup versions
> that support doubletalk PC.

However I almost never read more than a full screen at a time using
automatic mode. In other words I allow speakup to read to the end of each
screen automatically then if I want more of that page use space to get next
screen.

Tom Fowle