speakup and garbled text

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Mar 16 12:42:50 EDT 2019

Chris Brannon <chris at the-brannons.com> writes:

> John Covici <covici at ccs.covici.com> writes:
>
>> I  wonder if its a flow controlissue, if its software synth, maybe its
>> an espeakup problem?
>
> I doubt it, because as I say, I have never seen it in review mode.  I'm
> also pretty sure I've seen this with speechd-up too.  So I'm trying to
> solicit input from folks who use something other than espeakup.

Actually, last time I took a very serious look at this, I made a "fake"
software synth for Speakup.  All it did was read the softsynth device
and dump data to a file.  Testing Speakup this way is kind of hard
because you don't have speech while you're driving your computer ... but
it would be perfect for a sighted person who doesn't use a screen
reader.  If I recall correctly, I was seeing garbling in the dumped
output too.  Sometimes it takes a while for this bug to manifest; it is
a tricky one.

-- Chris