Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Apr 3 22:00:54 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 03:04:28AM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Does "ad libitum" means
> "just issuing the command:
> echo <name> > /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth to switch"?

Yes, as long as the synthesizer you want to switch to is
already inserted as a module, or built into the kernel.

> Is this valid regardless if I have included "start=0" in the modprobe
> command or not?

Yes.

> Sorry for these basic questions, I do not have not a hard synth to try.

You can use the dummy synthesizer (I.E. speakup_dummy module) to
output to the serial port what speakup would output to a hardware
synthesizer. This would let you simulate a hardware synthesizer.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1