Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

Samuel Thibault sthibault at debian.org
Wed Apr 3 17:33:45 EDT 2019

Didier Spaier, le mer. 03 avril 2019 20:09:33 +0200, a ecrit:
> Then, both in the installer and in the installed system, the main
> startup script will also need to "modprobe speakup soft" before starting
> espeakup, right?

Yes, or put it in /etc/modules.

> But, with the changes you introduced, maybe we can
> "modprobe speakup soft" unconditionally, i.e. even if a hard synth is
> already in use?

It shouldn't harm.

> > speakup_soft also needs to set itself alive, otherwise the switch would
> > let it remain silent
>
> Or conversely, does that means that a user currently running espeakup
> can plug in a hard synthesizer and switch to it after having modprobed
> the relevant speakup module without having to unload speakup_soft first?

Yes.

> But then, does this change also allows espeakup to be used with a hard
> synth, or does it remain usable only with the soft synth?

I'm not sure what you wonder might not be working. Both hard and soft
synths are supported, and you can switch from one to any other ad lib.

The fix is only about switch from the soft synth to a hard synth, the
soft would somehow keep eating some stuff.

Samuel