Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jan 31 10:14:40 EST 2018

I would further suggest that whatever gui-based security tools Kali
provides may, or may not be accessible to use.

Regardless, they're all going to drive configurations you can access
from the console. A short, not necessarily comprehensive list off the
top of my head would include:

selinux and it's settings
iptables and ip6tables
journalctl (for log access)

Work the above with grep and maybe awk, and you'll be a power user
before long regardless of what some gui tool might, or might not do.
You'll be doing more, actually.

So, the notion to get Speakup working on the console is absolutely the
right notion. If you have a braille display you can add into the mix,
absolutely check out brltty. The two would make a highly persuasive
combination, and you a security expert if you stick to it and read the
source texts.

What you will NOT have is data visualization. For that I'm afraid the
solutions are a bit more expirimental, though there is sonification that
might help. How to do that on Linux, I don't know, but I think I know
who to send you to to ask. So, speak up, as it were! <grin>

Just my suggestion.

Janina

Zachary Kline writes:
> >From personal experience, ArchLinux is just about as good a command-line environment as you’re likely to get. The TalkingArch CD works very well for installing, and you’re left with a setup which is minimal and easy to learn from.
> I highly recommend you switch to trying to mess with that.
>
> > On Jan 30, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt <timothyjb310 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That is good to know. I was afraid that a lot of the tools were not
> > command line based. Oh well. perhaps I will just set up an arch linux
> > vm and play with that.
> >
> > I would still like to learn how to setup speakup, but Kali is probably
> > not the best to do that with.
> >
> > Thanks for all of the replies,
> >
> > TJ Breitenfeldt
> >
> > On 1/30/18, Don Raikes <DON.RAIKES at oracle.com> wrote:
> >> Tim,
> >>
> >> A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal preference is
> >> to use the mate desktop but that is because I got started in Linux under the
> >> old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten used to the new unity/gnome3
> >> interface.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate with orca
> >> to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.

... Trimmed to meet the list's reqs ...

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow