Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Don Raikes DON.RAIKES at ORACLE.COM
Wed Jan 31 11:41:48 EST 2018

Another option and one which I have used for learning the console-based kali tools and to get familiar with Linux in general would be to run kali in a docker container.  If you use jaws or nvda on windows, you can run a kalilinux docker container and interact with it using the windows screenreader.

I know that takes things like Speakup and brltty out of the mix, but it is a quick and dirty solution.
-----Original Message-----
From: Janina Sajka [mailto:janina at rednote.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:15 AM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux. <speakup at linux-speakup.org>
Subject: Re: Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

I would further suggest that whatever gui-based security tools Kali provides may, or may not be accessible to use.

Regardless, they're all going to drive configurations you can access from the console. A short, not necessarily comprehensive list off the top of my head would include:

selinux and it's settings
iptables and ip6tables
journalctl (for log access)

Work the above with grep and maybe awk, and you'll be a power user before long regardless of what some gui tool might, or might not do.
You'll be doing more, actually.

So, the notion to get Speakup working on the console is absolutely the right notion. If you have a braille display you can add into the mix, absolutely check out brltty. The two would make a highly persuasive combination, and you a security expert if you stick to it and read the source texts.

What you will NOT have is data visualization. For that I'm afraid the solutions are a bit more expirimental, though there is sonification that might help. How to do that on Linux, I don't know, but I think I know who to send you to to ask. So, speak up, as it were! <grin>

Just my suggestion.

Janina

Zachary Kline writes:
> >From personal experience, ArchLinux is just about as good a command-line environment as you’re likely to get. The TalkingArch CD works very well for installing, and you’re left with a setup which is minimal and easy to learn from.
> I highly recommend you switch to trying to mess with that.
>
> > On Jan 30, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt <timothyjb310 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That is good to know. I was afraid that a lot of the tools were not
> > command line based. Oh well. perhaps I will just set up an arch
> > linux vm and play with that.
> >
> > I would still like to learn how to setup speakup, but Kali is
> > probably not the best to do that with.
> >
> > Thanks for all of the replies,
> >
> > TJ Breitenfeldt
> >
> > On 1/30/18, Don Raikes <DON.RAIKES at oracle.com> wrote:
> >> Tim,
> >>
> >> A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal
> >> preference is to use the mate desktop but that is because I got
> >> started in Linux under the old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten
> >> used to the new unity/gnome3 interface.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate
> >> with orca to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.

... Trimmed to meet the list's reqs ...

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__a11y.org&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=wylHmyi3t20HT5HOCW9f3_t2qU1up5TLjM9-u5kv9Ow&s=CoUZu05INmmJ-VvCt978ozYtqk71txhTLc_WQDf0XUs&e=

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.w3.org_wai_apa&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=wylHmyi3t20HT5HOCW9f3_t2qU1up5TLjM9-u5kv9Ow&s=PUVUp8CIk2PO8jidituoaDV_177cwY5_75vYNpiSeYo&e=