Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Tue Jan 30 11:56:38 EST 2018

From personal experience, ArchLinux is just about as good a command-line environment as you’re likely to get. The TalkingArch CD works very well for installing, and you’re left with a setup which is minimal and easy to learn from.
I highly recommend you switch to trying to mess with that.

> On Jan 30, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt <timothyjb310 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That is good to know. I was afraid that a lot of the tools were not
> command line based. Oh well. perhaps I will just set up an arch linux
> vm and play with that.
>
> I would still like to learn how to setup speakup, but Kali is probably
> not the best to do that with.
>
> Thanks for all of the replies,
>
> TJ Breitenfeldt
>
> On 1/30/18, Don Raikes <DON.RAIKES at oracle.com> wrote:
>> Tim,
>>
>> A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal preference is
>> to use the mate desktop but that is because I got started in Linux under the
>> old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten used to the new unity/gnome3
>> interface.
>>
>> Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate with orca
>> to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.

>>> g_index.php_TalkingArch&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65
>>> eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2
>>> ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=JUxYZ5Z1WwEmJvd1TAXM8buhPH2soZMlw95_z
>>> 0Owg2o&e=
>>>
>>> If you go this way you'll only have the console unless you explicitly
>>> install a GUI desktop.
>>>
>>> There are other choices, but the above is a good way to get to a
>>> functioning system with minimul fuss.
>>>
>>> Janina

>>> --
>>>
>>> Janina Sajka
>>>
>>> Linux Foundation Fellow
>>> Executive Chair, Accessibility
>>> Workgroup:	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__a11y.org&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=PXVu7U_kanhN-aKcPDscAHyyaf7GhLU-wRpu7umHkEM&e=
>>>
>>> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative
>>> (WAI) Chair, Accessible Platform
>>> Architectures	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.w3.org_wai_apa&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=BGkV5BqduYuktvO4jol1R-9R9DWYFbBP-C4fHDOgiPE&e=

>>> g_cgi-2Dbin_mailman_listinfo_speakup&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZ
>>> h8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=
>>> qkyvZTC5ljsPb-N6J979QuHTeBgn-fA0C7I9nqdVzzM&s=1MMykkeDIZcMufXQWsrXk7PK