speakup USB support will be in linux 4.13

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Sep 16 06:29:56 EDT 2017

Janina Sajka, on sam. 16 sept. 2017 05:48:07 -0400, wrote:
> OK, but I'm sending the output of 'lsusb -v' separately, as it made an
> inline reply too big for the list.

Sure :)

These are the interesting parts of it:

> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0dd0:1002 Access Solutions Triple Talk Speech Synthesizer
> Device Descriptor:
>   idVendor           0x0dd0 Access Solutions
>   idProduct          0x1002 Triple Talk Speech Synthesizer
>   iManufacturer           1 Access Solutions
>   iProduct                2 Triple-Talk USB
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class

So they provide their own interface instead of the standard serial
interface... I however guess they didn't build their own chip. Do you
perhaps have some technical manual which could tell which chip they
used, so we can teach the linux driver for it how to deal with the
synthesizer? Or perhaps some contact at the manufacturer which could
provide information?

> PS: modinfo speakup_ltlk does show:
>
> parm:           ser:Set the serial port for the synthesizer (0-based).  (int)
> parm:           dev:Set the device e.g. ttyUSB0, for the synthesizer.  (charp)
> parm:           start:Start the synthesizer once it is loaded. (short)

So you do have the USB support in speakup. It's just the linux USB
drivers which don't know about the Triple-talk.

Samuel