Getting USB serial to work closer to boot

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Fri Sep 15 21:38:16 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I’m wondering what ideas people might have to get the USB serial devices to work closer to boot time? Could I possibly use the initial ram disk to load the appropriate modules? One of the things i really miss about earlier Speakup was that it theoretically worked almost from the moment you turned on the computer, and you could troubleshoot issues fairly easily with a serial synthesizer.

I’m using ArchLinux with the default 4.13 kernel, if that matters. I haven’t messed with kernel recompilation in a while, but if it would help I’m willing to try it.
Best,
Zack.