Status of kernel

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:12:49 EST 2016

I wasn't suggesting "poking ports" -- cuz I don't even know what that
is.  I downloaded a ebook on writing linux kernel drivers. I used to
write unix kernel drivers for a living. I figure I can understand the
linux kernel. But maybe you're saying that by the time /dev is
populated, it's too late? Speakup cannot work like any other device driver?

I already have udev rules to recognize when I plug in the USB cable on
my tripletalk. When it's plugged in during boot, I get speech during
boot via the searial port. Instead of enableing speakup through the
serial port, why can't it talk to my tripletalk via the USB port?

I haven't really listened that closely to the messages spoken when the
udev subsystem recognizes my tripletalk. It might be that it is already
so far into the boot sequence thatyou might as well wait until user
space is ready to start speech. Is that the problem? I am going to
reboot right now and see.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org