Status of kernel

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 15 14:15:24 EST 2016

John G Heim, on Tue 15 Nov 2016 13:12:49 -0600, wrote:
> I figure I can understand the linux kernel. But
> maybe you're saying that by the time /dev is populated, it's too late?

Please would like to have speakup ready to talk before the /dev
directory even exists.

> Speakup cannot work like any other device driver?

No, because it shouldn't drive hardware, it should be a layer on top of
serial drivers.

> I already have udev rules to recognize when I plug in the USB cable on my
> tripletalk. When it's plugged in during boot, I get speech during boot via
> the searial port. Instead of enableing speakup through the serial port, why
> can't it talk to my tripletalk via the USB port?

It could if it implemented drivers for USB ports.  But it's a loot
better to just layer it on top of the existing drivers.

Samuel