Status of kernel

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 15 13:41:09 EST 2016

John G Heim, on Tue 15 Nov 2016 12:16:26 -0600, wrote:
> The one thing that bothers me is that somebody is always
> messing with the code that disables speakup access to the serial port.

> So somebody is taking the time to diddle with it but not to fix it.

Just to be sure: really, nobody is trying hard to break speakup. It's
just a side effect of Speakup doing things in a way which is really not
supported. When there are changes in the main code, it has side effects
on speakup. Plugging properly into the serial as a line discipline
drivers would avoid the issue entirely.

> Something just occured to me... I wonder if I could get permission from the
> University of Wisconsin, where I work, to rewrite speakup for USB.

You'd get exactly the same issue. If you write a USB driver that pokes
port, then it'll be disturbed by the rest of the kernel.

> Everybody who has serial only synths would still be screwed but it'd be a
> step forward.

No, it'd be just a step aside.

Samuel