Status of kernel

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 15 13:16:26 EST 2016

Years ago, I had a discussion via private email with some members of the
kernel development team. I asked why the speakup code was stuck in
staging and they said the code wasn't up to standards. I asked them for
specific examples and the stuff they sent me was fairly trivial. I said,
"Are you saying I couldn't find equally bad or worse stuff in the main
kernel code?" To wich they responded that, yes, if you went looking for
it you could find worse but what I was asking for was for them to
approve known sub-standard code.  At which point I started calling them
names and threatening lawsuits. That's a joke. I didn't really do that.
Although I did use the d-workd (discrimination) in my response. That was
pretty much the end of it. But now I think if they had simply phrased it
differently, I might have had a different perspective. If they had said
that other sub-standard code was "grandfathered" in and they now have a
strict no sub-standard code policy, I would have been more willing to
accept their explanation. Likewise, I guess you could say the serial
console code is grandfathered in and the speakup code is not. The one
thing that bothers me is that somebody is always messing with the code
that disables speakup access to the serial port. I have to keep re-doing
the patch file I use to disable the disabling. So somebody is taking the
time to diddle with it but not to fix it. Trying to put this as
tactfully as I can, it looks to me as if a non-trivial amount of work is
being put into disabling speakup's access to the serial port. If it ever
gets to the point where you can't re-enable access by commenting out
that one line of code, then I'll be ... irritated.

Something just occured to me... I wonder if I could get permission from
the University of Wisconsin, where I work, to rewrite speakup for USB.
Everybody who has serial only synths would still be screwed but it'd be
a step forward.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org