Fwd: Talking Arch has no speech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Sep 28 05:42:51 EDT 2015

Kyle,

I'll have to get back to you on this, but the problem is the sound card
isn't muted, so your unmute script doesn't work.  It also happens on the
Sound Blaster Live! Value.  I'll have to send my amixer output separately,
but I think the name of the control is:

Analog Capture Switch

To further complicate things, the SB Live calls it something else, but with
Analog in the name.  Ubuntu had a problem with the Live! Value but not the
Audigy.  If you have a really ancient card, you don't have this problem.
Actually, the Live doesn't have this problem, it's the Live! Value.  I know
the Audigy and Audigy II do have the problem and were finally fixed in
Debian, so it's obviously an ALSA driver issue.