Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 07:41:59 EDT 2015

I have to disagree with the idea of Android replacing desktop Linux.
Mobile operating systems are fundamentally different from desktop
operating systems still, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
On the other hand, the ARM processors that power most mobile devices
are becoming more and more powerful at lower costs, and are now quite
capable of running full desktop Linux, including the full version of
LibreOffice, which can both read and write documents, unlike the
Android version, which as far as I know is only a viewer. Desktop Linux
also has the advantage of being more open than most manufacturer
specific versions of Android, including root access for those who want
it, and even the ability to change out the desktop interface if you
want to do such things. Android is a decent mobile OS for phones, and
is even OK on larger things like tablets, but if I could run a desktop
Linux on either a phone or a tablet, I would feel much more comfortable
in that environment, especially since processing power, RAM and other
system resources are not the obstacles they used to be. I would say
that rather than mobile OS's taking over the market, the trend could
move toward the desktop taking over the mobile space. The hardware is
certainly capable of it, and I would love to see the software becoming
available on more such devices.
Sent from my custom ROM