Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Tue Sep 22 09:10:51 EDT 2015

Kyle <kyle4jesus at gmail.com> writes:

> On the other hand, the ARM processors that power most mobile devices
> are becoming more and more powerful at lower costs, and are now quite
> capable of running full desktop Linux, including the full version of
> LibreOffice, which can both read and write documents, unlike the
> Android version, which as far as I know is only a viewer.

Back in 1997, I had a Windows machine with 32 megabytes of RAM and a 133
MHz Pentium processor, and it could run a word processor capable of both
reading and writing documents quite adequately.  Granted, I soon learned
LaTeX and forsook word processors altogether, but I do understand why
people like them.  So nowadays, I have a phone with at least an order of
magnitude more memory and processing power.  If it cannot run a word
processor capable of both reading and writing documents, then this is
the fault of software makers.  Is Libreoffice really that much more
capable than MS Word was in 1997?  Does the profligate waste of
computing resources really make any of us that much more creative or
productive?  As an aside, did you know that the author of the Game of
Thrones novels still uses Word Star on MS DOS?

> also has the advantage of being more open than most manufacturer
> specific versions of Android, including root access for those who want
> it, and even the ability to change out the desktop interface if you
> want to do such things.

Yes, point taken.  On the other hand, there are custom ROMs, and out of
the currently existing mobile offerings, Android is the most appropriate
for me right now.

> that rather than mobile OS's taking over the market, the trend could
> move toward the desktop taking over the mobile space. The hardware is
> certainly capable of it, and I would love to see the software becoming
> available on more such devices.

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing the best parts of the desktop experience
replicated on mobile.  What I don't want is a repeat of the wastefulness
we've seen on PCs during the last couple of decades.  Unfortunately, I'm
sure I'll get both.

-- Chris