Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 22 05:41:18 EDT 2015

On 9/21/2015 7:48 AM, Chris Brannon wrote:
> I make no bones about being an elitist snob, so take what I say with
> that in mind.  Neither Arch nor Gentoo is really aimed at winning
> converts from Windows, so this is an unfair criticism.  It's like
> criticizing gourmet cooking because it doesn't appeal to the palates of
> people raised on McDonalds hamburgers.
> Yes, there are distros that try to be more like Windows, but Linux still
> has a very low market share, and I don't see that changing on the
> desktop.

Yes, I agree about the low market share.  That, indirectly, is kind of the
point of my post.  I can't very well recommend something for the masses
that's difficult to use for those who only want a GUI.  Even though it might
not seem like it, my goal here is to increse the popularity of Linux.
Whenever possible, I reply to list posts suggesting Linux and/or open source
alternatives.  What I said about them not having a talking GUI was not meant
as a criticism.  The great thing about Linux is there are hundreds of
distros.  There is a good chance that someone already invented one to
scratch your particular itch.  The bad thing is there are hundreds of
distros and it's very difficult for someone potentially interested to know
which one to choose.  As I said in another post, I do suggest Arch to people
who like the idea of doing everything yourself and building from source, but
in my experience, this is a very, very small percentage of an already very
small market.

Thanks for the link to the talk.  I have downloaded it and intend to listen
to it.  I've been wanting to play with Android, but I don't have a cell
phone or tablet and probably can't afford to buy one.  I've read about
virtual machines with Android installed, but I don't know of any which come
up talking.