Fwd: [orca-list] gnu-speach?

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Oct 23 01:40:50 EDT 2015

Hi,
I grabbed the demo .wav and am not impressed.
Our own tts, speect, is better.
It is available at http://speect.sf.net
It is using hmm tts methods.
It is more natural sounding than gnu speech or espeak, and not IMHO suited
for screenreader use.
HMM is synthesized sound, modeled after human voices which is actual
recordings, IE. the computer is tought how speech should sound by giving
it examples of how a real person would read some given text.
The commercial version of our system, called qfrency, can be listened to
at http://www.qfrency.com.
Speect sounds the same.
FYI, Willem