Fwd: [orca-list] gnu-speach?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Oct 22 20:07:41 EDT 2015

Tony Baechler <tony at baechler.net> wrote:
> Similarly to the below post from the Orca list, is there any chance that a
> connector for Speakup could be written to use this?  The web page looks
> interesting.  I'm off to compile it now, if nothing else to see if the
> speech quality is as good as the web page says.  I would like other opinions
> on this if anyone here has actually used it.

I compiled and tested it at one point. I can't remember how many years ago
this was done. The speech was difficult to understand and not of high quality.
However, it may have improved since then. The original developers were speech
synthesis researchers and the software had to be ported to Linux from a code
base originally written for NextStep.

A promising project of more recent origin is OpenMary, which, although written
i Java, seems to offer clear and readily understandable speech, judging by the
online demonstration site. (The demonstration defaults to German; be sure to
change the language if you're testing in English.)