GRML and Speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Oct 5 05:27:33 EDT 2015

On 10/4/2015 9:48 AM, John G. Heim wrote:
> There is really nothing to join. It's not like there are dues or anything.
> We have both a mediawiki wiki and a wordpress blog. I don't know anything
> about posting files with either mediawiki or wordpress although I'm sure it
> can be done. I would think having either a wiki page or a blog would be
> important regardless of how the upload is done. When people ask about a
> talking version of debian, you'd point them to the wiki or to your blog.

I have used WP before.  I found the accessibility fair.  I think Drupal has
better accessibility, but I haven't tried it in years.  For a basic
download, either a wiki or WP content upload is more effort than I want to
go through, especially for minor updates.  That's why I would really prefer
the rsync option.  All I need is hosting for the images and chroots.  I have
a server and lots of web space, but it's the bandwidth for the images that
worries me.

> You know what might be cool would be for me to set you up as a blogger and
> you could write a debian accessibility blog.  Possible topics could be your
> own talking distro, the grub-init-tune script I wrote, and patching a kernel
> for speakup. I can help you with ideas for topics and with the technical
> stuff. Not to say you need technical help but I could make it so at least
> some of your blog posts didn't take a whole lot of work on your part. I'm
> sure the people on this list would help too.

Thanks, but no.  I'm working on starting my own business and I can host my
own blog on my site when I'm ready, but I'm not to that point yet.  I'm not
much for writing long blog posts anyway.  I am happy to offer my CD images
as a public service, but when Debian gets a talking live CD which works like
D-I, my CD images will serve no purpose.  To go back to an earlier
discussion on this list, I built my rescue CD for two reasons.  First,
because I had a request.  Second, I needed one and one wasn't easily
available.  The Debian 8.2.0 live CD images don't currently include a rescue
CD, or if they do, I missed it.  My ultimate goal, quite frankly, is to get
people interested in Linux and sell Linux support services.

> I can give you ssh access and create a blog for you.  Or you can just sign
> up at the wiki yourself. I think if you really want to do it right, what you
> might want to do is write a blog at www.iavit.org and post the downloads at
> sourceforge or someplace.  I used to have a sourceforge account but they
> broke accessibility for a short time years ago and I haven't been back
> since. But it seems a lot of people post their files there. Must be
> something to it.

Yes, I took a look at Source Forge.  They seemed to have good accessibility.
  I don't know if there is a limit on how much I can upload.  That is
certainly a viable option and worthy of further consideration.  I'm still
refining my build process and am not ready to produce source images.  A
requirement of SF is full sources must be included.  I'm not clear from the
above paragraph if you're actually offering hosting for the images or not.
Yes, ssh access would be appreciated, but if I can't host images for
download, there probably is little point.

Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
Putting accessibility at the forefront of technology
mailto:bats at batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310   Fax: 1-619-449-9898