Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Oct 4 05:14:23 EDT 2015

The Orca list is probably a better place to ask these kinds of questions,
but I'll do what I can to help.  See replies inline below.

On 10/3/2015 7:38 AM, Glenn wrote:
> I did not get any sound, but I was able to start speech.

Are you saying that you get no sound at all except speech?  Can you play an
audio file?  Is this with the Ubuntu MATE live DVD or after installation?
If you go to a streaming station online, do you hear sound?

> How do I enable a startup sound?

Well, one way would be to play a sound in /etc/rc.local, but specifically in
MATE, I don't know.  I don't get a startup sound either, but speech starts
for me when MATE starts.

> I looked in the settings under sounds and was not able to select separate
> sound events, only general sound schemes, of which I only found two.
> I was expecting something similar to windows where you pick events and
> assign sounds to them.
> And if I want to place in my own sounds, what is the path to the sounds
> folder?

/usr/share/sounds/