GRML and Speakup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 3 04:57:13 EDT 2015

On 10/2/2015 10:46 AM, Techswing33 wrote:
> I second this. I've tried to do this in the past, but all the isos
> I've made then tried to boot have been nnonbootable.

I am working on a rescue CD based on Debian.  That is to say it is 99%
Debian packages with very minor adjustments for accessibility.  It now even
includes the Debian Installer, so you can install an official Debian system
on your machine.  It comes up talking on two real machines and in a VM, but
it needs wider testing.  I do have brltty enabled, but I don't have a
Braille display.  It has most standard tools you would expect, plus you can
install others if you want.  If you want a talking system out of the box,
you can install the live system to your hard drive, but I don't recommend
this.  Unlike other CDs, it should come up talking automatically and
includes non-free firmware, so your wireless network should be detected.

There is just one small problem.  That is the bandwidth.  I hesitate to give
out a download location here because I don't want my server to get flooded
with hits.  Therefore, if you want it, please write off list.  I will
eventually find a better hosting solution, but mirrors are welcome.  It's
currently 64-bit only, but once it's stable, I plan to produce a 32-bit
version and DVDs with a GUI.  I am guessing I'll need about 12.5 GB total,
but not for now.

If this interests you, please test.  It needs testing on as much hardware as
possible.  I think I included most important packages, but if you think
something is missing, please let me know.  I plan to eventually set up a
mailing list, but not until it gets more testing.