strange possibly Speakup-related Xorg problem

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Sat Nov 7 16:51:13 EST 2015

Hi all,
recently I got around to attempting to start X again after not having run it for
a while, and am finding that every time I do so a couple of things happn. First
I get an XF86OpenError permission denied when opening <insert console here>.
After chmod 777 to work around that problem, I can startx everything
successfully, even hear Orca speaking; however, by this point I completely lose
control of the physical keyboard, after which point aside from a reboot my only
recourse is to SSH in and killall X.

Any ideas as to what could have borked here? Nothing appears amiss in
Xorg.0.log. Perhaps Speakup is not relinquishing control of the keyboard in
conjunction with the TTY layer as it has in prior versions?
dpkg -l: ii  xserver-xorg                           1:7.7+12
  amd64
ii  linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64              4.2.5-1
  amd64
Thanks!
--
Igor