Speakup review on a laptop

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Nov 5 17:52:37 EST 2015

There's not much to it. Just hold down capslock, and uio map to 789,
jkl map to 456, ,./ map to 123 of the numpad. Enter shuts up speakup,
' reads the screen, n is the del key to tell you the position on the
screen. On your keyboard's number row, 8 is mark/cut, 9 is paste. I
don't know what the equivalents are for park/unpark, and cursor
tracking/highlight/off, but maybe someone else does. You should also
be able to hold down your laptop's FN key with other keys to
emulate numpad keys. You'll have to read your laptop's manual to find
out what those keys are though. If you're going to issue multiple
speakup commands, and don't want to keep holding capslock, press
capslock+z to lock/unlock speakup numpad functions. If you lock those with
capslock+z, then just press jkl with no other keys to emulate 456. If you
want to use the capslock for its intended purpose, use either shift
key+capslock to lock/unlock uppercase letters. HTH.

Greg

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 11:06:00AM -0500, Techswing33 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have a podcast or information on running speakup on a
> laptop or system without a numpad? I've got a laptop that I've got a
> vm on, running speakup and I'm going to need to do screen review as I
> configure items.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

web site: http://www.gregn.net