strange possibly Speakup-related Xorg problem

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Sat Nov 7 16:58:54 EST 2015

Forgot to include display driver info:
ii  nvidia-kernel-4.2.0-1-amd64            340.93+1+b1+5+4.2.3-2
  amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 4.2.0-1-amd64
ii  nvidia-kernel-amd64                    340.93+4.2.0+1+b1
  amd64        NVIDIA kernel module for Linux (amd64 flavor)
ii  nvidia-kernel-common                   20151021+1
  amd64        NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii  nvidia-kernel-dkms                     340.93-6
On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 04:51:13PM -0500, Igor Gueths wrote:
> Hi all,
> recently I got around to attempting to start X again after not having run it for
> a while, and am finding that every time I do so a couple of things happn. First
> I get an XF86OpenError permission denied when opening <insert console here>.
> After chmod 777 to work around that problem, I can startx everything
> successfully, even hear Orca speaking; however, by this point I completely lose
> control of the physical keyboard, after which point aside from a reboot my only
> recourse is to SSH in and killall X.
>
> Any ideas as to what could have borked here? Nothing appears amiss in
> Xorg.0.log. Perhaps Speakup is not relinquishing control of the keyboard in
> conjunction with the TTY layer as it has in prior versions?
> dpkg -l: ii  xserver-xorg                           1:7.7+12
>   amd64
> ii  linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64              4.2.5-1
>   amd64
> Thanks!
> --
> Igor