Debian upgrade to Jessie

Tom Fowle wa6ivgtf at fastmail.fm
Tue May 19 22:02:25 EDT 2015

Johnny and all,
I have tried orca with espeak on this box and the latency is horrible.
Yes
the speech speed its self is fine, so I didn't state my original
properly,
it's the latency/speed of response that drives me nuts with orca and
espeak.

I'll try speakup with espeak see how that works.

I had only minor problems getting speakup with the doubletalk PC working
on
wheezie, the installer worked rite off, but speakup wouldn't start on
reboot
until I removed brltty info from
/etc/initramfs/modules
Then both speakup and brltty started at boot fine.
As I recall from previous discussions on this list, the problems in
later
kernels are with serial synths. Some have indicated this may not relate
the DTLK internal.

Afraid I'm much too much of a wimp to try compiling a kernel but I'll
look
at the mentioned page. and see how much I quiver with fear <GRIN>
Thanks
Tom

  Tom Fowle
  wa6ivgtf at fastmail.fm