Debian upgrade to Jessie

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon May 18 04:07:42 EDT 2015

What kernel are you running?  I had no problems upgrading to Jessie on a
couple of servers here, but unless something changed recently, kernels after
2.6.32 don't seem to work with hardware speech.  Of course you aren't using
a serial synth, so maybe it'll be fine for you.  The upgrade went fairly
smooth for the most part and I would recommend upgrading.  Be aware that the
default init is now systemd which has a lot of dependencies, so if you want
to stay with sysvinit or upstart, keep that in mind.  One server is only
accessed with ssh, so it has no speech on it at all.  The other is my
regular desktop machine, but I kept my 2.6.32 kernel due to the lack of
serial synth support in newer kernels.  I didn't want to upgrade udev, dbus,
etc, so I kept sysvinit on my desktop, but the remote server got a new
Jessie install with systemd and it seems fine.  I did upgrade from Wheezy to
testing, but due to unrelated circumstances, it got a fresh install, however
that had nothing to do with Jessie or any Debian problems.  Good luck and
let us know how it goes.