Debian upgrade to Jessie

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun May 24 10:43:33 EDT 2015

The softsynth module should be included in every kernel these days.

$ sudo modprobe speakup_soft

If you have an external doubletalk, it won't work unless you patch and
recompile the kernel. An internal doubletalk will.

I just made a virtual 32 bit debian machine Friday evening  that I
intend to use to recompile the debian kernel with the speakup paatch
every time they come out with a new kernel. I think I can make it so it
just runs all the time and when there is a new kernel, it upgrades
itself, reboots, recompiles the kernel with the patch, and posts it to
my debian repository on www.iavit.org -- I think.