command line file managers (simple)

chuckh at ftml.net chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Jun 29 05:27:57 EDT 2015

Here's my $0.02 on the matter.

Since I still use the descendent of pine for email, I have the descendent
of pilot for a file manager. It does most of what I need to do as a file
manager, but it's not my favorite method. I also use edbrowse for most of
its many functions, and as a file manager it is a pleasure to use. True,
you can't mark things and then delete the list of marked items all at
once, nor can pilot do that, but if that's important, you had better stick
with a GUI.

As an editor, edbrowse resembles ed most closely. Imagine ed given a
directory name to open instead of a file. If that were edbrowse, you would
be placed in "directory mode" and presented with an alphabetized list of
the files in that directory. Each file is like a line in a text file now,
and can be deleted, renamed, opened for further editing, or even played if
it happens to be an audio file.

Bottom line: I don't feel the lack of a dedicated command line file
manager here. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Chuck