Installing Debian Jessie under Uefi; installer does not speak

Marcel Oats moats at orcon.net.nz
Thu Dec 31 14:48:25 EST 2015

Hi, this has probably been asked previously: I have a system that will only
boot using Uefi (don't ask) and it seems that the dvd's boot screen appears,
according to someone with sight, but when typing the s option, it is
ignored? The installer appears, and indeed the installation can be completed
with a braille display. Oh, when a USB soundcard is connected (just in case
the system's card isn't detected) no sound is heard either.

Speakup comes up on a machine that has legacy boot available, and indeed, we
even get the beep from the boot loader. How can we get speakup to run during
the installer, assuming that such an option is available anyway?

The image was downloaded from the website, and was located at
http://gemmei.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/iso-dvd/
Sorry to sound dum and so forth.
Marcel