Debian upgrade to Jessie

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Aug 1 05:37:19 EDT 2015

Replies inline below.

On 7/31/2015 8:55 PM, Tom Fowle wrote:
> Has anybody yet got round to upgrading Debian from Wheezie to Jessie while
> using speakup and a hardware synth E.G. doubletalk PC?

Yes, I have upgraded my desktop machine.  Actually I was still running a
Lenny, Squeeze and Wheezy hybrid, meaning I had packages from all three
releases.  They are now all updated to Jessie or testing.

> If so were there any problems? Does jessie come up talking after the
> upgrade?

No, everything works fine.  I should say here that I'm still using kernel
2.6.32 though.  I purposely didn't upgrade my kernel because I didn't want
to lose hardware speech.  If you keep an old kernel, put a hold on the udev
package and don't switch to systemd.