virtualbox, was: Re: Kali Linux

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Wed Apr 29 23:52:07 EDT 2015

Capturing/releasing the keyboard is described in I believe section
1.8.2 of the virtualbox manual. To capture/release the keyboard, you
need to use the host key, which is your right control key by
default. If you're in the guest, press your right control key to
release the keyboard, and you should then be able to alt+tab to other
windows. When you focus the virtualbox guest window again, it will
capture your keyboard automatically, unless you disabled this. If you
want to use the control key in your guest, use the left control
key. So, ctrl+alt+f1 in the guest would be done using your left
control and alt keys. If you're running on a gnu/linux host, then
things get different as described in section 1.8.3 of the virtualbox
manual. If you're running on a gnu/linux host, then pressing
hostkey+f1 would enter ctrl+alt+f1 into the guest and so on.

If this bothers you and you can't get used to it, you can remap the
host key to something as I mentioned earlier. Alternatively, if you
have a usb keyboard, and a place to put it, you can pass that keyboard
through to the guest, and not have to deal with the whole host key
thing. HTH.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net