Attention John Heim, About your Custome Kernel?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 10 09:47:22 EST 2014

I don't have access to a 32-bit debian machine on which to build a
32-bit version of the patched kernel. I can do something like create
a 32-bit virtual machine and make it on that but I am booked solid for
the next few days. I probably won't get to it until the weekend.

It's really irritating to me that we have to go through this. By the
normal definition of a bug, the code as it exists now has the bug. My
code doesn't introduce a bug, it just doesn't conform to the standards
for writing to the serial port. I understand the importance of
standards. I am about as big on the concept that neatness counts
computers as anybody. But people come first.
I mean there is one awa

responsible for this, IMO.

The thing about this patch is that it's not a bug as such. There are
pluses an minuses to what it does. By the normal definition of a bug,
something about a program that doesn't serve it's intended purpose, the
way it is now is a bug, not the patch. The kernel developers call the
patch a bug because it doesn't do things the way they think it should be
done. And they have a point there, I'm not disputing that. It is just
that it doesn't work at all done the way they want it done.

In my opinion, this is a question of values. I completely agree that
standards like the ones the kernel developers are enforcing are
important. YYou will have to trust me on this but I am truely a
"neatness counts" guy when it comes to computers. But people come first.
Jobs may depend on this. It's hard enough for blind people to get get
and keep jobs in IT without the kernel developers throwing up additional
barriers to their success.

The code is in the "staging" area. When you load a speakup kernel
module, a wwarning is displayed. That should be enough.

PS: There ought to be a word for this kind of nerdy behaviour. It's like
tamping down security so much that nobody can use the system. You want
to make a computer completely secure so nobody can break in, turn it off.