Attention John Heim, About your Custome Kernel?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 10 10:11:51 EST 2014

I don't have access right now to a 32-bit machine on which to build a
32-bit version of the kernel.  I can figure something out but it's
going to take me a few days and I am booked solid all week. I probably
won't get to it until next weekend.

It's really ridiculous that we even have to do this. The kernel
developers are just being unreasonable in not allowing the simple,
obvious fix the patch uses. I understand their point of view but they
are putting their code standards ahead of the real needs of real people.
It's like unplugging  a computer to keep it from being broken into.
Well, yeah, hackers won't  be able to use it but neither can anyone
else. By the normal definition of a bug, something about a program that
doesn't work as intended, the code has a bug the way it is now. It's not
the other way around. The fact is that the  problems  introduced by the
patch are miniscule.  The speakup modules are used only by people who
have a speicific need for them and who mostly understand the risks. And
there are other places in the kernel code that have the same problem.

IMO, this is about values. The kernel code developers are putting their
standards ahead of the needs of real people.  You will have to trust me
on this but I am very much a neatness first guy when it comes to
computers. I understand the value of standards and doing things the
"right" way. But people come first.

The kernel developers should take a deep breath, hold their collective
noses, and put that patch in. It's the right thing to do.