Speakup Kernel and Orca Getting Colder.

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Wed May 29 09:32:54 EDT 2013

	I appreciate all this information. Thank you. I am now
in the process of creating a brand new installation. I did make
one big discovery. When running the new netinstall image, I
found out that I seem to have been using the mouse port instead
of the keyboard port for a long time. It worked on the old
system but when I booted the netinstall disk, I had no keyboard
control at all.

	I moved the plug to the other port and that must be the
keyboard port because I was immediately able to type boot s and
it came up talking the first time after that.

	I had to leave for work after getting as far as
installing the base system, but I plan to select the gnome
desktop and anything else dealing with orca when I get to that
screen, probably tonight.

I hope to end up with speakup before and after orca. Should the
net gods be smiling today and I get that, I will backup that
system before doing anything else.

	As for being able to use the mouse port on the keyboard,
I am thinking the kernel may figure out what one is doing and
just work, but that may also be why I was having such odd
behavior.

	If I still end up with no orca, I will download CD1 and
try from that but I bet the netinst disk will pull down the
correct desktop. Thanks for the warning.

Martin