Speakup Kernel and Orca Getting Colder.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue May 28 19:53:05 EDT 2013

Just do a fresh, new install.  I had similar problems as you're having
with an apparently broken Orca.  Doing a dresh install solved my problems.
 For the first time ever, I got a talking gdm3 login.

Be aware of a couple of things.  First, you must use an image with the
graphical installer.  The standard CD 1 works and that's what I
downloaded.  Just press "s" after a few seconds and you get speech, but
unfortunately no beep on boot.  Secondly, you must install the desktop
environment at the time you install the rest of the system to get
accessibility.  You can't install it later.  That's what happened to me
the first time.  I installed what I thought was the
"gnome-desktop-environment" task after system boot and I got no Orca.
Finally, GNOME 3.X is completely different than 2.X.  I got speech when I
logged in and I got the "Welcome to Orca" message but nothing else seemed
to happen.  I had to press either the Windows key or Alt-F1 to get the
overview panel to come up which seemed to talk fine, but I didn't know
what I was doing so I didn't get very far.