SpeakUp and the Raspberry Pi...more

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Wed May 29 09:15:16 EDT 2013

	If you have speakup running, is it possible to play
other sounds via the same audio output?

	Is full-duplex recording possible where the sound card
output is speakup but one is recording audio from some outside
source?

	Most P.C. sound cards support mic and line inputs and
one can access /dev/dsp for recording at the same time that
speakup is talking.

	I have run across a few sound cards with analog loopback
settings in amixer. I have been able to enable that feature and
capture speakup's audio in the recording which is useful if you
are scanning radio frequencies and want to know which
frequencies are active while one is away.

	If you can get the receiver to output its frequency when
the squelch opens, you will hear the readout mixed in with the
audio. It is definitely not something you want to do all the
time, but it comes in handy on occasion.